Раздел 1. ЧТЕНИЕ
1.1. Подумайте и ответьте на вопросы:
> Do you read newspapers or magazines? Why∕why not?
> Do you like listening to the radio? Why∕why not?
> Can people do without television? Why∕why not?
> Would you like to take part in a TV talk show? Why/Why not?
> What way of getting information about the world do you prefer? Why?
1.2. Прочитайте тексты о средствах массовой информации. Установите соответствие между заголовками 1—8 и текстами A—G. Занесите свои ответы в таблицу. Используйте каждую цифру только один раз. В задании один заголовок лишний.
5. Origin of mass media
6. Positive effects
7. Confronting reality
8. Payments in media
A. Europe can boast to be the primary source of mass media. It was Johannes Gutenberg who for the first time printed a book in a printing press in 1453. Gradually, after the Second World War, radio, television and video were introduced. The audio-visual facilities became very popular as they provided, information and entertainment. The Internet has become the latest and most popular type of mass media. Here, information is generated through numerous websites and search engines. It also gives information on various topics similar to other types of mass media.
B. Mass media increase an overall awareness of the masses. They enhance the general knowledge by providing us with information from all over the world. News broadcasted through different media helps us know about the day-to-day events in the world. News and documentaries revolving around social issues increase a social awareness in children and develop their concern towards society. Newspapers, apart from updating us with the latest news and new information, exchange their views over different issues that the society faces and share their thoughts on a larger scale.
C. Some experts believe that it is mass media to be blamed for eating disorders in the youths as well as for the unhealthy lifestyle that has recently emerged. The products advertised by the media and the ways they are advertised are bound to affect the practices of the youths. Children, who should invest their time in reading books, studying, playing outdoors, exercising and engaging in social activities, today, spend their evenings glued to the television. People spending hours in front of a television or surfing the Internet suffer from eye problems and obesity.
D. Traditionally, media planning meant deciding what kind of media should be employed for the advertising campaign. They would decide where the advertisement would have the maximum impact. Today, the concept of media planning has undergone a change. Media’planning now involves not only selecting a media for advertising, but also deep analyses into the outreach of the ads. Also, media planners will today select unconventional streams of advertising such as mobile vehicles. Newer options are chosen depending on what the product being publicized is.
E. The Internet is a very potential source of advertising, and it is quite understandable why every company tries to promote its wares through websites. The focus here is on reaching out to the niche customers. This is what an online media planner undertakes. Media planners do not get a commission as most other people in the advertising industry do. This is because media planners do not work with volumes; they work with strategies. Their services are creative. For this reason, they receive percentage cuts from the total budgets of the advertising campaigns.
F. There was a time when one could always rely on the various types of mass media for accurate information. But in recent years, the media have been sensationalizing lots of news or events and giving unnecessary importance to certain issues. There have been lots of situations wherein a journalist has reported a particular incident with a prejudiced opinion. The various forms of mass media are
known to influence the minds of the audiences to a large extent. So, does it mean that the media control our world?
G. All new trends in society immediately pass through the watchirig lenses of the media, which know very well what matters are to be pushed into which court of justice. Apparently, interviews with the people involved mean the media are objectively reporting a new trend or describing an interesting issue. The involvement of professionals shows the report in a different colour — the writer has really taken a view of the matter, judged the issue in a particular light, and has put it in a certain category of behaviour. In an implicit way, the matter has been reported to the concerned officials.
1.3. Выпишите из текста синонимы к следующим словам и слово
8. To advertise
10. Not stated directly
11. . Выразите свое мнение:> What is your attitude towards advertising?
> Do you think young people are influenced by what they see in the media? Why∕why not?
> Would you ever consider a career in the media? Why∕why not?
12. . Прочитайте текст и заполните пропуски A-F Частями предложений, обозначенными буквами 1—7. Одна из частей в списке 1—7 лишняя. Перенесите ответы в таблицу.
Reality television is a genre of television programming which, it is claimed, presents unscripted dramatic or humorous situations and features ordinary people rather than professional actors. It could be described A. Although the genre has existed in some form or another since the early years of television, B.
Reality television covers a wide range of television programming formats, from game or quiz shows to surveillance-focused productions such as Big Brother. Critics say that the term ‘reality television’ is somewhat of a misnomer C__________________________________________ . The participants of
These shows are often put in exotic locations or abnormal situations and are sometimes coached to act in certain ways by off-screen handlers, whereas the events on screen are manipulated through editing and other post-production techniques.
Part of reality television’s appeal is D. Reality television also has the potential to turn its participants into national celebrities, mainly in talent and performances programmes such as Pop Idol, E.
Some commentators have said that the name ‘reality television’ is an inaccurate description for several styles of programme included in the genre. In competition-based programmes such as Big Brother and The Real World, producers design the format of the show and control the day-to-day activities and the environment, F. Producers specifically select the participants, and use carefully designed scenarios, challenges, events, and settings to encourage particular behaviours and conflicts.
1. the current explosion of popularity dates from around 2,000
2. though frequently Big Brother participants also reach some degree of celebrity
3. that is rather popular with teenagers
4. because such shows frequently portray a modified and highly influenced form of reality
5. as a form of artificial documentary
6. creating a completely fabricated world in which the competition plays out
7. due to its ability to place ordinary people in extraordinary situations
1.6. Выпишите из текста синонимы к следующим словам и словосочетаниям:
1. includes someone as an important part
2. an incorrect name
3. people who take part in the show
4. places where the show is made
> Do you enjoy watching reality shows? Why∕why not?
> Would you like to take part in a reality show? Why∕why not?
> What do you enjoy watching on TV? Why?
Раздел 2. АУДИРОВАНИЕ
2.1. Подготовка к аудированию. Прочитайте утверждения 1—7 в задании 2.2 И возможные варианты их продолжения. Подчеркните ключевые слова, которые могут оказать влияние на выбор правильного ответа.
2.2. Вы услышите рассказ знаменитой актрисы и продюсера комедийных передач о своей работе. В заданиях 1—7 обведите цифру 1, 2 Или 3, Соответствующую выбранному вами варианту ответа. Вы услышите запись дважды.
1. According to the narrator,
1) people choose their occupation accidentally.
2) every person has a gift of humour.
3) each person has a natural ability.
2. The narrator says that her mother
1) often plays in comedies.
2) says funny things in a clever and critical way.
3) likes to give unreal answers to questions.
3. The narrator is grateful to her parents because
1) they were very strict to her.
2) she always felt their support.
3) they gave her money to achieve her aims.
4. The narrator particularly enjoys Thursday because on that day
1) she has lunch with the members of her crew.
2) she usually checks all the stuff she worked on.
3) her show is broadcasted.
5. The narrator prefers laughter to applause because
1) she gets a hit when she gets a good laugh.
2) applause can be insincere.
3) applause is not as prompt as laughter.
6. The narrator admits that she is
1) a cruel person.
2) not tough at her shows.
3) capable of making biting comments.
7. The narrator believes that to make a good comedian you
1) should be amusing and hard-working.
2) should be crazy and live dangerously.
3) need to almost die.
2.3. Обсудите свои ответы с партнером:
> What helped you choose your answers?
> Why are the other options wrong?
> What was the most difficult answer for you? Why?
Раздел 3. ГОВОРЕНИЕ
Вспомните РЕКОМЕНДАЦИИ к составлению диалога-
обмена мнениями (см. Тему 2. Раздел ГОВОРЕНИЕ).
3.1. Разминка. Какие фразы вы можете использовать, чтобы ввести собеседника в ситуацию общения?
δ Полезные советы:
Я /В конце диалога вы обязательно должны принять сов — ;
2 местное решение, иначе коммуникативная задача не
I будет выполнена. <
Вы можете сделать это так:
What shall we decide on?
What’s our final decision?
What option should we choose?
Z Вам следует прийти к взаимному согласию, несмотря на то, что в ходе диалога вы возражали друг другу. Подумайте, с каким мнением собеседника вы могли бы согласиться.
3.2. Вы с другом обсуждаете современные источники массовой информации. Выберите из предложенных вариантов тот, который вам обоим нравится больше всего:
> the Internet
Время говорения 3—4 минуты.
3.3. Прочитайте вариант диалога. Выпишите в таблицу аргументы «за» и «против» для каждого источника информации.
‘What do you think is the best way of getting information about the world?’
‘It is a very difficult question. Perhaps, the best way to learn about the world is reading newspapers. They are packed with the latest news, information and facts and help us to be in the know of everything. Besides, they usually provide us with extra details, commentaries and background information. What is more, newspapers cater for a variety of political views, interests and levels of education so you can choose a newspaper according to your interests.’
‘Actually, I don’t like reading very much. It takes so much time. And newspapers… They make my hands dirty and the print is so small! My eyes usually get so tired.’
SBut you can’t but agree that newspapers provide us with reliable information. And if you are tired, you can put it down and turn to it later.
‘You are right. Still, I prefer the radio. It’s good to listen to the radio in a car, or in the open air, or when you do something about the house. You can tune into all kinds of stations: pop or classical music, news, sport or foreign radio stations so you can keep up-to-date with the news. Besides, radio has fresher news than newspapers. They are informed every half-hour.’
T don’t agree with you. Radio news items are very short and you have to believe the presenter’s opinion because you don’t have enough information. In addition, the news items on the radio are also recorded beforehand so they are not always fresh. Moreover, sometimes it’s difficult to find a necessary radio station.’
‘What about TV then? It is a wonderful source of information. When you need immediate information about the latest world events, you switch the TV on. Besides, I like TV news because I can see everything with my own eyes. Television is a reflection of the modern world and it allows me to follow the events in faraway countries without visiting them.’
‘I can’t but agree with you. There are hundreds of various programmes on TV that keep you informed about the rest of the world. But for TV, I would not be able to watch extraordinary animals and to learn about their life and habits. However, television has certain disadvantages.’
‘Really? What are they?’
‘For example, they usually show the same news on all channels. And if I want to get some news, I have to wait until the news programme is on. In addition, you can’t get information about everything on TV.’
‘Well, the same can be said about newspapers and the radio. I think there is no source of information without any drawbacks.’
‘We live in a multi-media society. Let’s take advantage of it and learn everything from our computers.’
‘That’s interesting! But how can we get information from computers?’
‘Haven’t you heard about the Internet? It has become another important source of information which allows you to learn about almost everything. It’s much easier to surf the Internet than to go to the library and find the necessary book or a magazine. All the latest information is available to you in your home at any hour of the day and night. You don’t have to wait for news programmes to be in the know of everything.’
‘However, you have to pay for the Internet! Isn’t it very expensive?’
‘We also have to pay for newspapers, radio and television. With the development of new technology the Internet is as expensive as all other sources of information.’
‘I’m afraid that on the Internet we can only read about events and we can’t see everything with our own eyes. Besides, computers affect our eyesight.’
‘Not exactly. The Internet allows you to watch all TV programmes. Moreover, it has additional video films on different topics. As for our eyesight, I can say that modern computer screens have no radiation. So what’s our final decision?’
‘Perhaps, you are right. Computers have changed our life for the better. So why shouldn’t we make them work to our advantage?’
‘I completely agree with you. It goes without saying that the Internet has become the best source of information nowadays.’
3.4. Работа с партнером. Вы с другом обсуждаете, какой фильм посмотреть вечером. У вас есть несколько вариантов. Выберите тот, который понравится вам обоим:
> a cartoon
> a thriller
> a love story
> a detective film
Время говорения 3—4 минуты.
При составлении диалога вы можете использовать аргументы «за» и «против», приведенные в таблице, или придумать свои собственные.
• Cartoons are usually funny and amusing.
• Modern cartoons are like films with exciting plots and unusual characters. And computer graphics makes them really colourful.
• Cartoons are for little kids. I’m fed up with silly cartoons like ‘Tom and Jerry’.
• Their plots are rather simple and predictable.
• Thrillers are never boring and the action in them never stops.
• Thrillers are usually full of special effects.
• Thrillers are full of violence and blood. I’m afraid I won’t sleep well after watching it.
• I have already seen this film.
A love story
• 1 enjoy films about love because they usually have happy end.
• The actors and actresses are always so beautiful!
• I hate love stories. They are very boring.
• I’ve seen the trailer of this film on the Internet. It’s a tragedy about unhappy love.
A detective film
• Ienjoydetectivesbecause of their sophisticated story lines. There is always suspense up to the very end.
• This one is a psychological film.
• The actor who stars in this film is really talented so his acting should be brilliant.
• Most detective films have rather predictable plots. I always understand who the criminal is.
• Some detective films are really frightening, aren’t they?
Раздел 4 ГРАММАТИКА И ЛЕКСИКА
I Перед выполнением заданий изучите
; раздел ПАССИВНЫЙ ЗАЛОГ
: в ГРАММАТИЧЕСКОМ СПРАВОЧНИКЕ.
4.1. Пассивный залог. Употребите правильную форму глагола.
1. You (take) Around the city tomorrow.
2. Melons (grow) in the South of France.
3. The ship-building industry (reduce) since 1970.
4. He (impress) By the story at our last meeting.
5. This text must (translate) Tomorrow.
6. In 1980 the Olympic Games (hold) in Moscow.
7. Wait a little! Your room (not Clean) Yet.
8. Mercedes cars (made) In Germany.
9. The furniture should (dust) Every week.
10. The streets (decorate) At the moment.
11. The translation (do) in time. Everyone was glad.
12. We (excite) By her acting at her last concert.
13. More raw materials (import) In the future.
14. Your health can (improve) With more exercise.
15. The books have to (return) To the library.
16. The letters (send) this week.
17. Today a lot of electronic goods (produce) In Asia.
18. The examination (hold) Next Friday.
19. Coal (mine) In Wales for centuries.
20. Where’s the radio? It (repair)?
4.2. Пассивный залог. Употребите правильную форму глагола.
1. When the telephone (invent)?
2. I can’t give you these articles. They (translate) Now.
3. The letter (not write) Tomorrow.
4. English (speak) All over the world.
5. She showed me the picture that (paint) By her husband.
6. My dress is clean now. It (wash).
7. All the questions on the paper must (answer).
8. These houses (build) In the 16th century.
9. Tomorrow by 3 o’clock everything (prepare).
10. Rugby (play) since 1845.
11. My house (paint) The whole day yesterday.
12. Flowers usually (sell) In the streets.
13. This film (discuss) At the next lesson.
14. Your composition (write) Yet?
15. I couldn’t use my hotel room because it (not clean) Yet.
16. It was very dark. Nothing could (see).
17. What usually (make) From milk?
18. I’m sure that the invitation (receive) By next Sunday.
19. Wait ⅛ little! Your question (discuss) Now.
20. The UK (wash) By the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea.
4.3. Пассивный залог. Употребите правильную форму глагола.
1. When the first restaurant (open) On the Moon?
2. Easter (celebrate) In spring.
3. The room (clean) Yet? Can I Use it?
4. When you return from your journey, this novel already (publish).
5. Where are the skis? They (repair) Now?
6. The results (announce) Tomorrow morning.
7. All the work (do) by 6 o’clock yesterday.
8. The plants should (water) Every week.
9. What kinds of medicines usually (make) From plants?
10. Coca-Cola (produce) Since 1895.
11. When the first car (construct)?
12. When 1 came home, the text already (translate).
13. A new school (build) In our district now.
14. Your shirt is dirty. It must (clean).
15. The statue broke while it (move) To another room.
16. These books (buy) two days ago.
17. Don’t worry! Your keys (find).
18. Newspapers usually (deliver) In the morning.
19. When I came, the film still (discuss).
20. 1 Think the report (not write) By next Monday.
4.4. Прочитайте сообщение о происшествии и употребите правильную пассивную форму глагола.
Policeman Shot Dead in Training
A police officer has died after suffering a gunshot wound to the chest in a training exercise in Manchester. The male officer died in hospital after the incident, which took place in Thorp Road, about a mile from the city centre, at about 11.35. The officer (1) (take) To North Manchester General Hospital, where he (2) (pronounce) Dead later.
Police sealed off entrances to the site but forensic officers could (3) (see) In the yard outside the warehouse, which (4)(cordon) Off with yellow tape. An ambulance was also on site. It was not immediately clear whether the officer (5)(shoot) Accidentally by one of his own colleagues. A Greater Manchester Police spokesman said the training exercise (6)(hold) In ‘reasonably routine’ way.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (7) (notify) About the fatal shooting and three investigators (8) (send) To the scene to carry out an initial assessment. The area where the incident happened is the site of a disused former electronics factory, which (9)(know) Locally as the Sharp Building. The factory (10)(surround) By other industrial units and wasteland.
4.5. Пассивный или активный залог? Подчеркните правильную форму глагола.
1. The book (wrote∕was written) By Hardy.
2. Four people (have killed∕have been killed) In a train crash.
3. A Famous architect (was built∕built) The bridge in the last century.
4. The house (bought∕was bought) By a pop-star.
5. Local police (have been arrested∕have arrested) The bank robber.
6. I (arrived∕was arrived) Last Friday.
7. The room (will clean∕will be cleaned) Later.
8. ‘Did you go to the party?’ ‘No, I (didn’t invite/wasn’t invited).’
9. It’s a big company. It (is employed∕employs) Two hundred people.
10. Tom (has lost∕has been lost) His key.
11. Many accidents (caused∕are caused) By dangerous driving.
12. A cinema is a place where films (show/Аге shown).
13. People (aren’t used/don’t use) This road very often.
14. This house (built∕was built) In 1930.
15. This situation is serious. Something must (do∕be done) Before it’s too late.
16. My car (has disappeared∕has been disappeared).
17. Have you heard the news? The President (has shot∕has been shot).
18. A New supermarket (will be built∕will built) Next year.
19. (in a shop) ‘Can I help you, madam?’ ‘No, thank you. I (am serv — ing∕am being served) Now.’
20. When I Came to the party, John (had already been gone∕had already gone) Home.
4.6. Пассивный или активный залог? Употребите правильную форму глагола.
1. How she usually (get) To school?
2. When we came, the dinner still (cook).
3. 1 Was very tired because 1 (run) For an hour.
4. Jane ever (hear) This story?
5. When summer (come), we’ll go to the seaside.
6. Please wait! Your question (discuss) Now.
7. She (paint) The door by the time we come back?
8. The book (publish) Next month.
9. How long you (have) This book?
10. The cooking usually (do) By my mother.
11. When he (get) this letter? — A week ago.
12. If she (not come), We won’t be able to finish the work.
13. They (work) The whole evening tomorrow.
14. This novel (write) Last year?
15. Tom (write) This report for two days.
16. What novel she (write) now?
17. What you (do) When I Called you?
18. The clock (repair) By next Monday.
19. When the manager came, we (not write) All the letters yet.
20. Your bag (find) Yet?
4.7. Пассивный или активный залог? Употребите правильную форму глагола.
1. The computer (use) At the moment.
2. Your house looks different. You (paint) It?
3. Water (cover) Most of the Earth’s surface.
4. Most of the Earth’s surface (cover) by water.
5. When we got to the stadium, we found that the game (cancel). So we couldn’t see the match.
6. The park gates (lock) At 6.30. p. m. every evening.
7. The letter (post) A week ago and it (arrive) Yesterday.
8. Ann couldn’t use her office yesterday. It (redecorate) The whole day.
9. At 10 o’clock tomorrow, Ann will be in her office. She (work) Then.
10. Ron’s parents (die) When he was very young. He and his sister (bring up) By their grandparents.
11. While I was on holiday, my camera (steal) From my hotel room.
12. Look! A New hospital (build) Near the airport.
13. Where these photographs (take)? In London? You (take) Them? 14. Two people (arrest) Last night.
15. The computer broke down yesterday, but now it’s OK. It (work) again. It (repair).
16. The man next door (disappear) Six month ago. Nobody (see) Him since then.
17. The room looked nice. It (clean).
18. There’s somebody walking behind us. I think we (follow).
19. A Mystery is something that can’t (explain).
20. I’m sure that by the time we come to the theatre, all the tickets already (sell).
4.8. Пассивный или активный залог? Прочитайте текст радиопередачи о системе социального обеспечения в Америке и употребите правильную форму глагола в скобках.
The Public Welfare System in America
Hello and welcome to US Radio Online! Our today’s programme is devoted to public welfare system. We can say that the majority of Americans — about 85 percent — are neither wealthy nor poor. They (1) (belong) To the broad economic category considered to be ‘middle class’. But they (2) (trouble) By the fact that poverty (3) (exist) In their land. Our country (4)(know) For its wealth, its abundance of food and its opportunity for everybody to have a good life. The goal is to operate a free enterprise economy in which everyone who (5)(want) To work can find it. Despite that goal, there is always a percentage of people who want to work but who cannot find employment for which they (6)(suit). In recent years, the official figure for unemployment (7)(average) Between five and seven percent.
The public welfare system in the USA is so large that in the early and mid-1980s nearly one half of all money spent by the federal government (8) (be) For ‘social payments’ — money used to help people. The percentage (9)(double) Since the 1960s, when only about 25 percent of the money spent by the federal government (10)(support) These welfare needs.
In addition to federal programs, there are programs in each of the 50 states which (11)(design) to Help people in need. Some people believe that increased direct expenditure by the federal government is the best means to eliminate poverty. Others say the welfare system
(12) (not reward) Individual initiative — it (13)(encour
Age) People to stay unemployed and spend rather than save money. All of the studies and the arguments about poverty and public welfare programs show that Americans (14)(concern) About the problem that (15)(not solve) Yet.
ПРИЛАГАТЕЛЬНЫЕ C ПРЕДЛОГАМИ
Перед выполнением заданий изучите
раздел ПРИЛАГАТЕЛЬНЫЕ C ПРЕДЛОГАМИ
В ЛЕКСИЧЕСКОМ СПРАВОЧНИКЕ.
4.9. Заполните пропуски предлогами.
4.10. Вставьте пропущенные слова.
1. Paul is very______ In Appearance To His brother.
2. Γm For All the trouble I’ve caused her.
3. Monaco is usually With Celebrities.
4. Sugar is said to be______ To Our teeth.
5. He has always been very______ Of His brother’s good looks.
6. You were About The time — the shop closed at 7 not 8.
7. It’s difficult to make airports From Terrorist attacks.
8. The jury found him Of Murder.
9. They were In Work of great importance.
10. How could you be so To Your dog? It’s awful!
11. The book is For Quick reference.
12. We can’t buy this car. We are of money.
13. I Was very About Driving again after the accident.
4.11. Прочитайте текст и вставьте пропущенные предлоги.
My uncle George has been working in the media for about 15 years now. He is pleased (1)his job and intends to work for another 15 years or so. Uncle George is a journalist. He has an eye for a story and he is excellent (2)reporting sensational news. He is highly respected (3) his honesty and elegant writing style. Uncle George travels a lot. He is delighted (4)this opportunity because he is curious (5) everything that happens in the world. Sometimes my uncle does celebrity interviews. He says it’s a very challenging job. Not all celebrities are friendly (6) Journalists and some stars can be even rude (7)them. Nevertheless, my uncle is always on top of the situation. I am impressed (8)His ability to get on well with people. Journalists are accustomed (9)operating under pressure and working to tight deadlines. I think they have the best job in the world! Uncle George is sure (10)His future because journalists will never be unemployed. When Γm older, I want to work in the media too.
ФРАЗОВЫЙ ГЛАГОЛ ‘TURN’
4.12. Вставьте слова из рамки в предложения и переведите их на русский язык.
Down into off on out over to up
1. It turned that she had known him since childhood.
2. Will you turn the television, please? It’s time for my
3. She turned at my house late one night.
4. His first novel was turned a television film.
5. This programme is really boring. Let’s turn to another
6. Don’t forget to turn your computer when you leave
7. Her family lived a long way away, and she had no one to turn for advice.
8. He turned the job because it involved too much trav
БЛИЗКИЕ ПО ЗНАЧЕНИЮ СЛОВА
4.13. Вставьте слова из рамки в предложения и переведите их на русский язык. Поставьте, если необходимо, глаголы и существительные в правильную форму.
Refuse deny audience viewer spectator cast effective efficient
1. After the final performance, the director threw a party for the
2. She is a regular of the evening news.
3. The hotel’s staff are friendly and.
4. The concert attracted a large.
5. The postmistress stealing the money from the post office.
6. Humour is often far more than shouting.
7. The lining the road cheered the racers on.
8. He offered to paint my house, but I to hire him.
ПРАКТИКА ЭКЗАМЕНАЦИОННЫХ ЗАДАНИЙ
4.14. Прочитайте приведенный ниже текст. Преобразуйте, если необходимо, слова, напечатанные заглавными буквами в конце строк, так, чтобы они грамматически соответствовали содержанию текста. Заполните пропуски 1—7 полученными словами.
In 1698, a number of Londoners received invitations to see the lions washed in the Thames. It happened on April Fool’s Day. However, the same trick (1)In 1860, and again a lot of curious Londoners came to enjoy the lions washed.
In 1957 BBC Television played an even (2) joke on its viewers. It showed a film about a spaghetti crop (3)in Southern Switzerland. While agricultural workers (4) long strands of spaghetti from bushes, the presenter of the film commented on the uniform length of the spaghetti and on the successful cultivation of ‘these vegetables’. After the programme had finished, there (5) a lot of calls from curious TV viewers. Obviously, those people (6)the joke. They wanted to know where they (7) buy spaghetti bushes.
4.15. Прочитайте приведенный ниже текст. Преобразуйте, если необходимо, слова, напечатанные заглавными буквами в конце строк, так, чтобы они грамматически и лексически соответствовали содержанию текста. Заполните пропуски 1—6 полученными словами.
Television viewing has always been the main leisure activity for American teenagers. According to the (I)J Of a Nielsen study, US teens spend more time watching television than playing computer games. The study found that teenagers were more engaged than (2)‘Believed with traditional media such as live television, radio and newspapers. The amount of television watched by the (3)
American teenager has increased by six percent over the past five years, which is rather alarming. Television is a passive ‘non-activity,’ which often detracts from
4.16. And community-oriented activities. PERSONAL
Time in front of the television cuts into family time
And is a leading cause of (5)In both adults OBESE
And children. Excessive TV use leads to a more sed
Entary lifestyle which is (6)For all of us, HEALTH Both mentally and physically.
Раздел 5. ПИСЬМО
СОЧИНЕНИЕ-ВЫРАЖЕНИЕ СВОЕГО МНЕНИЯ
Перед выполнением заданий вспомните
РЕКОМЕНДАЦИИ к составлению сочинения
(см. СПРАВОЧНИК ПО ПИСЬМУ).
5.1. Прочитайте экзаменационное задание и ответ на него. От-
ветьте на вопросы и выполните задания после сочинения.
Comment on the following statement.
Many people find soap operas enjoyable and realistic.
What is your opinion of soap operas?
Write 200—250 words.
Use the following plan:
— make an introduction (state the problem)
— express your personal opinion and give reasons for it
— give arguments for the other point of view and explain why you don’t agree with it
— draw a conclusion
Several years ago nobody could have predicted that soap operas would have taken over most of TV prime time. Yet there are quiet a few people who consider watching soaps a complete waste of time.
∏5 For me, I am not a die-hard fan analising every episode but I certainly enjoy watching soaps. The prime reason is that they help me to release tension and to escape from the pressures of everyday life. Another thing that attracts me to soaps is the presence of suspense. They always keep me guesing about the characters and
There fate and I want to know what is coming next and how (
It all ends up. Finally, watching soaps has become part of (
. my dayly routine and I always look forward to watching ( another episode. (
Admittedly, there are people who dislike soaps ∖ claiming that they have boring scripts and Unbelivable (
Story lines. I do not think it is correct to blame soaps ∖
For being unrealistic. On the contrary, the reality of the > problems portrayed in soaps make them so recognisable ( to the viewer. I also cannot agree that all soaps are bor- S Ing and predictable as people involved in watching them S Are usually captivated by their story lines. )
In conclusion, I want to stress that despite all the S
Criticism, we cannot escape from the fact that soap op — )
Eras are one of the most popular genres on television. )
Whatever the reason for watching them, soaps possess )
An incredible magnetic attractivness and power that ) must never be underestimated. ι
> How many paragraphs are there in the essay? What is the purpose of each paragraph?
> Find arguments in favour of the author’s opinion. How many have you found?
> Find arguments for the other point of view. Whose point of view is this?
> Is the language of the essay formal or informal? Give examples.
>Underline linking words used in the essay.
> What words can you use instead of Admittedly?
> Find Seven spelling mistakes In the essay.
5.2. Прочитайте экзаменационное задание.
Comment on the following statement.
Violence on TV and crime in society are clearly related.
Do you agree? Do you think that violence on TV should be forbidden?
Write 200—250 words.
Use the following plan:
— make an introduction (state the problem)
— express your personal opinion and give reasons for it
— give arguments for the other point of view and explain why you don’t agree with it
— draw a conclusion
You have 40 minutes to do this task.
>Определите свою точку зрения и постарайтесь найти как можно больше аргументов в ее поддержку.
>Какие аргументы можно придумать в защиту противоположной точки зрения?
>Как можно перефразировать тему сочинения? Постарайтесь найти синонимы к словам темы.
>Как вы закончите свое сочинение? Не забудьте учесть в выводе противоположную точку зрения.
>Подберите нужные слова-связки.
5.4. Теперь напишите сочинение.
Убедитесь, что вы:
JРазбили сочинение на 4 абзаца
JИспользовали формальный язык
JИспользовали слова-связки как в начале, так и внутри абзацев
✓ во введении перефразировали тему сочинения
/ в 2 абзаце привели не менее двух развернутых аргументов в пользу своей точки зрения
/ в 3 абзаце сослались на мнение других людей и ска
Зали, почему вы с ним не согласны
JВ заключении сделали общий вывод и окончательно сформулировали свою точку зрения
JПроверили грамматику, орфографию и пунктуацию
JУложились в заданный объем 200—250 слов
5.5. Поменяйтесь сочинениями с партнером. Проверьте сочинения и поставьте друг другу баллы, используя схему и бланк оценивания сочинения (см. СПРАВОЧНИК ПО ПИСЬМУ).